Chicken Salad pops in my mind first when I think of a refreshing summer salad. This fast, easy version is really healthy, fresh and light…perfect for a light lunch or dinner by the pool when it’s 100 degrees outside.
It’s very Weight Watcher friendly with only 1 point per serving, totally gluten free, and it can be made with a variety of on hand ingredients. Serve it up with saltines (5 saltines have 2 points), a warm low carb tortilla (1 point), light whole wheat bread (1 point for 1 slice) for a traditional chicken salad sandwich, or eat it right out of the bowl, your choice!
What’s in this Healthy Chicken Salad?
The great thing about Chicken Salad is you can just about make it any way you wish. In this earlier version, Easy Italian Chicken Salad, I made it with basil, artichoke hearts, jarred roasted red peppers, and Italian Seasonings…it is so good.
This recipe is a little spicier with a few jalapenos and Cajun Spice mixed in. If you can’t handle the mild jalapenos then by all means substitute them for some chopped bell peppers or maybe a few apple chunks. Sweet or savory…again, your choice!
- Store bought already shredded rotisserie chicken breast…so fast and easy!
- jalapeno…just one deseeded pepper so it’s not too hot
- red onion…I love red onion in any kind of summer salad
- celery…adds crunch and freshness
- fresh garden dill…because I love fresh dill
- reduced calorie mayo…you need mayo for chicken salad
- garlic paste…this is one of my number one kitchen time savers
- lime juice…this is a really good part of this recipe
- Cajun Seasonings…it adds just the right amount of yummy to this dish
Easy and Fast Assemby
This Chicken Salad is about as easy and fast as any dish you can make in your kitchen. Truly, all you have to do is mix up the mayo, seasoning, garlic paste, and lime juice and incorporate the mayo dressing into the chopped and shredded ingredients. That’s it! One suggestion is to definitely use a rubber spatula. It helps mix in every single bit of the yummy mayo dressing.
- Add some Spicy Air Fryer Chickpeas to the mix. You will be full and satisfied all day for no additional WW points! Winning!
- Roll up in a Romaine Lettuce leaf. It’s a no carb roll up!
- Cut a big, juicy tomato up and put a big scoop of this healthy chicken salad right in the middle…make it cold for a hot weather meal!
- Roll it up in an eggroll wrapper and toast it in the Air Fryer or oven…kinda like I did these Weight Watcher friendly Mexican Eggrolls.
- Cut an avocado in half, take out the pit, and put a big scoop of chicken salad in the hole. Again, perfect for a hot summer healthy meal!
- Make an open faced melt out of it! Put it on a slice of toasted bread of tortilla then lay a piece of your favorite reduced calorie cheese. Pop it under the broiler until the cheese melts.
- Top Avocado Toast with this fresh healthy salad. You’ve just created a mouth full of joy!
- Sprinkle your favorite hot sauce on top!
Healthy Chicken Salad Diet Options
This healthy chicken salad is compatible with most diets regimes👇
- Gluten Free
- Weight Watchers
- Low Carb
- Dash Diet
- Dairy free if you want to substitute the mayo for yogurt.
Healthy Chicken Salad
- 2 cups chicken breast, shredded
- 3 tbsp reduced calorie mayonaise
- 2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 red onion, small, sliced and diced
- 1 celery stalk, sliced and chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped fine
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- lime juice, 1/2 squeezed or to taste
- fresh dill, snipped
- Mix mayo, garlic paste, lime juice, Cajun seasoning. Set aside.
- Shred chicken breast and add chopped veggies and fresh dill. Add to a bowl.
- Mix mayo mixture, chicken, veggies together with a rubber spatula. Let sit in fridge for about an hour or longer. Serve with crackers or smear on bread or low carb tortilla.