This easy Spicy Sausage Rotel Cheese Dip is not just your ordinary boring ol’, anyone can make in 5 minutes, one can, one cheese Rotel Dip and Chips.
It’s a kicked-up, spiced up, fully loaded, bowl lick’in, raving compliments version you definitely want on your party table. And with a secret ingredient that makes you just want to lick the bowl!
Yes, it’s a couple of more steps in the kitchen, maybe 3 quick steps more, but it’s so worth it when your food-critic-brother-in-law asks what your secret is…BAM!!! That’s the ultimate compliment!!
SPICY ROTEL DIP IS GOOD FOR ANY OCCASION!
Seems like some kind of hot cheese dip is really common these days for most any occasion that includes food. Holidays, birthdays, barbecues, football Saturdays, funerals…you get the picture, people put this stuff on ANYTHING!!! So why not make it be a stand out instead of the same ol’ same ol’ boring yellow dip!!
HOW TO MAKE THIS SPICY ROTEL DIP
What’s in it?
There are 2 main ingredients in basic Rotel Cheese Dip; Cheese and Rotel (tomatoes and onions in a can:)
The yum part is in the optional goodies.
- Fresh garlic
- Chili powder
- A little salt
- Cinnamon! That’s right…CINNAMON! I promise you will never make just basic cheese dip again!!
Step by Step
- First, I make this in my favorite cast iron skillet or heavy bottomed pan. Brown the hot Italian Sausage with the cut up onion, jalapeno and garlic.
- Drain the fat after the sausage is brown and the veggies and soft and return to the skillet.
- Add the seasonings to the mixture and brown a little more until everything is mixed and smelling really good.
- Add the marinated red peppers and Rotel. Stir again until everything is good and mixed up.
- Lastly, add the Velveeta in chunks. Stir and turn the burner to medium low.
When you make it on top of the stove you really need to be in the kitchen stirring so it won’t burn on the bottom. If you aren’t paying attention it can really burn fast before you know it. Believe me…that little tip is absolutely from first hand experience.
MICROWAVE & SLOW COOKER OPTIONS
The great thing about hot cheese dip of any kind is you can cook it many ways. I think it tastes better on top of the stove made in a cast iron skillet but that’s a personal preference.
If going the microwave route:
- Brown the sausage and veggies together first.
Slow Cooker Method
Crock pot method:
This method starts out the same as the microwave except you would dump the cooked seasoned meat mixture, Rotel and cubed cheese into the crock pot.
Cook on low setting for a couple of hours, stirring occasionally. (Suggestion: I would drain the Rotel tomatoes when using these two methods)
Check out my absolute favorite Slow Cooker! It has an insert that you can brown meat, chicken, sausage, veggies…anything on the stove first before slow cooking it! This is a game changer for slow cooker lovers!
Pork Rinds (low carb)
Cut up veggies
Finish it off with some garden or market fresh cilantro and this dip will be the star of any get together! Serve with some fantastic chips and fresh veggie chunks. My suggestions to you is double it if you’re going to have more than 8 people! This will disappear before the first half of the game is ovah!!
More Holiday Yummies👇
Italian Queso for a different take on traditional!
Spicy Jalapeno Chipolte Dip/Dressing…this is great on the Spicy Rotel Dip, seriously!
Curry Dill Deviled Eggs…I’m partial but I think these are the best.
No Bake Banana Pudding...It’s as good as it is beautiful! Perfect for any holiday any time.
Red Cherries, White Chocolate and Blueberry Cookies…so good for summertime treats!
Spicy Rotel Cheese Dip
- 1 pound Hot Italian Sausage
- 1/2 whole onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno, large chopped, with or without seeds
- 3 garlic cloves smashed and minced
- 1 can Rotel or and brand of chopped up tomatoes and peppers undrained
- 1/3 roasted red peppers (in a jar) optional, rough chopped
- 1 tbsp chili powder or to taste
- 2 tsp cumin or to taste
- 1 tsp cinnamon or to taste
- 1 tsp Cajun Seasoning or to taste
- 2 pounds Velveeta White Queso cheese cubed
- In a heavy bottom skillet brown sausage, onion, garlic and jalapeno until done.
- Drain fat from above meat mixture and return to skillet.
- Add seasonings and mix into meat mixture.
- Add undrained can of Rotel peppers and onion.
- Add cubed Velveeta Cheese. Turn burner to med low and stir occasionally until melted.
- Keep warm on low heat…stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Serve warm with chips, veggies, pork rinds