Savory and simple Mashed Potato Cauliflower Casserole is loaded with all the savory comfort flavors of “real” mashed potatoes like real butter, cream cheese, and cream but a little less carby. Try it with Crockpot Drip Beef for a bun less bowl full of comfort and joy!
In my family, Mashed Potatoes are not anything to mess around with. So when I tested this mashed potato cauliflower casserole it was a big Go with a bright green flashing light!
This dish is a perfect do-ahead, one-pot side that can easily be incorporated into a big family holiday feast or as an everyday staple.
It’s yummy served as a base in place of rice for a hearty winter soup like Chicken-Shrimp-Sausage Gumbo or this Mexican Chicken Soup.
Make it all veggie for a Meatless Monday Meal and serve with this Curry Vegetable Soup…OMGosh, so good!
- Fresh Cauliflower, medium to large in size
- Russet Potatoes, you can use any kind of potatoes but I prefer russets for peeling and boiling
- Onion & Garlic, of course!
- Fresh Rosemary & Thyme
- Chicken Broth
- Cream Cheese
- Real Butter
- Whipping Cream or Half & Half
- Parmesan Cheese, grated
- Salt & Pepper
STEP BY STEP
- STEP ONE – Peel potatoes then cut up into big chunks. Cut onions, cauliflower, and minced garlic. Put in large stovetop pan like this dutch oven pot.
- STEP TWO – Add the broth, fresh rosemary and thyme sprigs. Boil until all the veggies are soft and mashable…about 30 minutes.
- STEP THREE – Drain in a colander and return back to the pot.
- STEP FOUR – Take out rosemary and thyme sprigs leaving cooked herb leaves. Add butter, cream cheese, and salt and pepper. Mashup with an immersion blender or hand-held potato masher like this one.
- STEP FIVE – When mixture is mashed and almost smooth, add beaten eggs and cream. Blend again.
- STEP SIX – Stir in half of the parmesan cheese. Add remaining cheese on top and sprinkle with ground pepper and extra thyme leaves.
- STEP SEVEN – Bake at 375 degrees until done. About 40 minutes.
- STEP EIGHT – Let cool slightly, sprinkle with green onions, more pepper and salt if needed..ENJOY!!
There are so many ways and occassions to serve this simple, savory, comforting dish.
Serve it with Thanksgiving Turkey with lots of savory gravy on top.
This dish would be wonderful as a side dish to crusty herbed Prime Rib and the Au Jus (instead of parmesan cheese try blue cheese for more of a holiday feel).
Add bacon and cheddar cheese and serve it in place of a twice-baked potato when serving steak.
Use it as the topping instead of all potatoes in your Shepard’s Pie.
So many options!!!
HELPFUL KITCHEN GADGETS FOR CASSEROLES 👇👇
Mashed Potato Cauliflower Casserole
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 5 tbsp butter
- 4 cups broth or water
- 4 pods garlic
- 1 small whole onion
- 2 eggs eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup whipping cream or half & half
- 1 cup parmasan cheese, grated
- rosemary & thyme
- salt & pepper
Leave a Comment