By the time January rolls around my family is ready for some veggies and some comfort…this Broccoli Cheese soup hits the spot! It’s healthy, quick and super easy to throw together.
Broccoli Cheese Soup – Kicked Up!
There’s just nothing that tastes like comfort more than warm, flavorful soup. Especially the really thick and creamy stuff that has real cream and several different kinds of full fat cheeses in it. You know that yummy kind they call soup but it could serves as a dip!
Well, don’t despair this Kicked Up Broccoli Soup is the real deal! It’s so good you’ll want a second and then a third helping! Rich tasting with a creamy, kinda chunky texture. Not to cheesy but cheesy enough to satisfy that good creamy home style goodness we all just crave from time to time.
Here’s How to Make it👇
- Start off by chopping all of your veggies. (Note: the white looking carrot is a parsnip. I had it in my fridge so I decided to add it…you won’t miss a thing by omitting it!)
- Next add the oil and the veggies to the pot and saute on medium heat for about 5 minutes or until soft.
- Stir the spices into the veggies until all mixed in. Sprinkle flour on top of the mixture and stir until it disappears and looks a little messy looking. This thickening method takes the place of a really fattening roux.
- When all mixed in add the chicken broth, Ro-tel and frozen broccoli. Bring to a boil and then turn the heat down to medium and let simmer.
- Once the broccoli is tender, blend with an immersion blender until kinda chunky but kinda smooth.
- Note: if you don’t have an immersion blender then get one! The one I have used for years is a Kitchen Aid. It’s dependable and nice looking too:) It doesn’t matter whether you cook a lot or a little, you must have one in your kitchen! Or if you don’t have one, use a potato masher instead.
- Add the shredded cheese gradually while stirring. This way it won’t turn out all stringy and clumpy.
- Then add the evaporated milk and extra seasoning to taste. Warm up again and then you’re ready to eat!
If you’re a soup maker you must invest in an immersion blender.
What’s In It:
- spray oil & 1 Tbls olive oil
- 1 large onion – chopped
- ½ cup sliced carrots
- 4 garlic cloves – smashed and chopped
- Fresh or ½ teaspoon rosemary, sage
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Pepper – 4 good shakes
- 2 tsp of Cajun seasoning
- 2 Tbls of flour – I use gluten free
- 1 34 oz Chicken Broth – I use Organic from Sam’s
- 1 can Ro-tel Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- 6 cups frozen broccoli
- 2 cups shredded 2% mild cheddar cheese
- 12 oz. can evaporated low fat 2% milk
- Salt to taste – 1 tsp suggested
Kicked up Broccoli and Cheese Soup
Custom Make it for YOU!
Customizing a recipe to fit your needs is the very best way to maintain a healthy lifestyle without getting bored. I’m pretty sure that’s what keeps most food bloggers and chefs in business.
Here are a few suggestions on replacements, additions, and eliminations for popular diet lifestyles:
For Keto and Low Carb Diets:
Add bacon, eliminate the flour, and replace the evaporated milk with full fat half and half or cream.
Eliminate the flour replace it with a beaten egg
Replace the cheese with nutritional yeast-cashew butter mixed in or vegan cheese
Replace milk with almond, cashew or coconut milk.
Replace evaporated milk with low fat evaporated or 1%
Use low fat or 2% cheese
Kicked Up Broccoli & Cheese Soup
Broccoli Cheese Soup
Spicy but not too spicy! Thick but not too thick! Cheesy but still not a ton of calories. This Broccoli Soup is soooo good!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus spray oil
- 1 onion, large and chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried or fresh Rosemary or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp sage or more to taste
- 1 tsp chili powder or more to taste
- 2 tsp Cajun Seasoning or more to taste
- 2 tbsp flour, gluten free works really well
- 34 oz chicken broth one box carton
- 1 can Rotel, undrained
- 6 cup frozen broccoli
- 2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 12 oz evaporated milk, low fat
- salt and pepper to taste
Spray oil on bottom of the pot and then olive oil, heat up.
Add chopped onions, carrots, and garlic. Note: add some chopped fresh jalapeno for extra kick. Saute until soft
Sprinkle flour and spices on the sauteed veggies and stir to combine.
Pour in chicken broth, Rotel. Add frozen broccoli to pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a hot simmer.
When broccoli is tender add cheese slowly while stirring into the mixture. Make sure it melts and doesn't become clumpy.
Add evaporated milk, salt and pepper. Heat up again until hot.
Serve with crackers, tortilla chips, French bread.
About 4 WW points. Enjoy
Sound Simple? It is! and so good. Add some crusty bread and a simple salad and you’ve got a brag worthy meal. Or serve it with these Herbed Muffins…YUM!
Your family will think you’ve been cooking all day long. Plus left overs are really nice the next day:)
Enjoy! Peace and joy in the New Year to you and your loved ones!
Not in the mood for all veggie, try these soups below!
Creamy and rich yet low in calories Seafood Chowder
Yummy low carb and Keto friendly Bacon Tomato Soup
Light and silky and tastes like Thanksgiving Squash Soup
Low Carb Cauliflower Shrimp Bisque is a game changer in the soup department!