Chocolate Covered Cherry Oatmeal Cookies…now that’s a delicious mouthful of warm sweet comfort right there. Instead of making the same ol’ same ol’ Chocolate Chip Cookies on an almost snowy afternoon (Okies here🙋♀️), my daughter and I decided to broaden our cookie recipe inventory…and I must say they turned out to so much better than we imagined.
I would describe these cookies as kind of “meaty” with lots of soft crunch and comforting flavor. The sweet chocolate coating with the sour dried cherries inside, a crunch of yummy walnut and a sliver of white chocolate is memorable and you will be hooked! You’ll never want to have a plain ol’ chocolate chip cookie again.
Delicious Chocolate Covered Cherry Oatmeal Cookie Ingredients
- unsalted butter
- brown sugar, light or dark will do…what ever you have on hand
- real vanilla
- salt, preferable sea salt
- whole wheat flour
- baking and soda powder
- old fashioned quick oats
- chocolate covered cherries-we love the red chocolate covered dried cherries you get from Sprouts! It’s a serious addiction!
- walnuts-or any nuts you prefer
- white chocolate melting disks-we used Ghirardelli baking disk because they were left over from the holidays. Regular white chocolate chips are fine, you won’t get the chunk of chocolate though.
Seriously, if you don’t have a Sprouts near you, try these from Amazon👇
They’re about the same price except they come in a larger quantity…more cookie love:)
Variations are Endless
These cookies are basically a brown sugar chocolate chip cookie recipe which I love. Brown sugar makes them chewer and my family loves a chewy cookie…or any cookie for that matter. You could add:
- Granola – I’m going to next time!
- More chocolate covered cherries than I did
- Chocolate covered blueberries, raisins, cranberries
- Chocolate covered dried bananas-this might be really good!
- Butterscotch, peanut butter, cinnamon chips
- Freeze dried strawberries
- The list is endless!
How To Make and Bake
- With an electric mixer cream the brown sugar, soften butter, salt and cinnamon together.
- Add eggs and mix with a hand mixer or upright fancy mixer.
- Stir flour, baking soda and baking powder together in a separate bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just mixed together. Stir in oatmeal…do not over mix.
- Rough chop the walnuts, chocolate covered dried cherries and white chocolate disks.
- Stir them into the mixture until just incorporated.
Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
Drop by tablespoonfuls or ice creams scoopfuls (depending on how large or small you want them…I used an ice cream scoop for these) on parchment paper. These cookies will spread so space them out pretty far apart. Note: If you chill the dough for about an hour the cookies won’t spread so much.
Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until desired doneness.
Let them set for a couple of minutes before you transfer them to wire racks to cool.
How many cookies does this recipe make?
Using an ice cream scoop I make about 26. They were large! If you used a heaping tablespoon I would guesstimate you could get about 40 cookies out of one batch.
How long do they last?
If your family doesn’t finish them off in a 2 days I would be shocked. Mine lasted 36 hours!!
How to store them?
In a plastic bag or tub that seals really well and in a secret spot that your kids don’t know about.
More Sweet Ideas from The Contractor’s Castle
Key Lime Chocolate Chip Cookies – great for Easter
Red Cherries, White Chocolate and Blueberry Cookies – hits the spot on Fourth of July and summer gatherings
No Bake Orange Creamcycle Castiron Pie – perfect for Easter and on a hot summer day
Chocolate Covered Cherry Oatmeal Cookies
- 2 sticks butter softened
- 2 cups brown sugar, light or dark firmly packed
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ tsp pure vanilla or more to taste
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2½ cups whole wheat flour or all purpose
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 1½ cups rolled old fashioned oats
- 2 cups chocolate covered dried cherries rough chopped
- 2 cups walnuts rough chopped
- 1½ cups white chocolate melting wafers rough chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Using an electric mixer, beat soften butter, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon together until creamy.
- Add eggs and beat into mixture until just incorporated.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and baking soda. Blend in dry ingredients into creamed mixture. Blend until just incorporated.
- Stir in oats, cherries, walnuts, white chocolate with a spatula until just mixed. Chill if you want a thicker cookie.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Drop cookie dough by tablespoonfuls or ice cream scoops. Place about 4 inches apart.
- Cook for 12-15 minutes or until desired doneness.
- Let set for about 2 minutes on cooking sheet then transfer to wire racks to cool.
Leave a Comment