Kicked Up Broccoli & Cheese Soup
Kicked Up Broc&Cheese Soup
- spray oil & 1 Tbls olive oil
- 1 large onion – chopped
- ½ cup sliced carrots
- 4 garlic cloves – smashed and chopped
- Fresh or ½ teaspoon rosemary, sage
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Pepper – 4 good shakes
- 2 tsp of Cajun seasoning
- 2 Tbls of flour – I use gluten free
- 1 34 oz Chicken Broth – I use Organic from Sam’s
- 1 can Rotel Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- 6 cups frozen broccoli
- 2 cups shredded 2% mild cheddar cheese
- 12 oz. can evaporated low fat 2% milk
- Salt to taste – 1 tsp suggested
- Use a big soup pot for this!
- Spray oil on bottom of the pot and then olive oil, heat up.
- Add onions, carrots, garlic, to the pot. Note: add some chopped fresh jalapeno for extra kick. Sauté until soft.
- Sprinkle spices and flour on the veggie mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour in chicken broth, Rotel, and broccoli. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a hot simmer.
- When broccoli is tender add cheese slowly while stirring into the mixture. Make sure it melts and is not clumpy.
- Add evaporated milk and salt and pepper.
- Heat up again until hot; serve with crackers, tortilla chips, French bread.
- 4 WW freestyle points, GF
Hey friends! It’s been a very cold January so far in Tulsa and trying to think of things that are yummy and healthy can be challenging sometimes. Soup is always a staple at my house and it’s about the easiest thing you can make! I love Broccoli Cheese soup; especially the really thick and creamy stuff that has real cream and several different kinds of full fat cheeses in it. You know that yum that’s really like a dip-chowder mix but they call it soup and has about 1000 cals per teaspoonL Uhg, if only I were skinny.
Well, don’t despair this Kicked Up Broccoli Soup is the bomb on a cold winter night! It’s so good you’ll want a second and then a third helping! It’s rich tasting with such a creamy, kinda chunky texture. It’s not too cheesy but cheesy enough to satisfy that good cheesy goodness we all just crave from time to time. It’s got a little spice kick to it that’s very subtle. You know, the subtle heat on the back of your throat that’s gone by the time you’re ready for the next bite. This recipe is a keeper and like most soup it’s easy to make and a one pot meal! Less Clean UP!!
Start off by chopping all of your veggies. Note: that white looking carrot is a parsnip. I had it in my fridge so I decided to add it…you won’t miss anything at all by omitting it!
Next add the oil and the veggies to the pot and sauté on medium heat for about 5 minutes or until soft.
Stir the spices into the veggies until all mixed in. Sprinkle flour on top of the mixture and stir until it disappears and looks a little messy looking. This thickening method takes the place of a really fattening roux
When all mixed in add the chicken broth, Rotel and frozen broccoli. Bring to a boil and then turn the heat down to medium and let simmer.
Once the broccoli is tender, blend with an emersion blender until kinda chunky but kinda smooth.
Note: if you don’t have an immersion blender then get one! It doesn’t matter whether you cook a lot or a little, you must have one in your kitchen! Or you can use a potato masher
Add the shredded cheese gradually while stirring. This way it won’t turn out all stringy and clumpy.
Then add the evaporated milk and extra seasoning to taste. Warm up again and then you’re ready to eat!