Winter Soup Staple
Hey friends! It’s been a very cold January so far in Tulsa and trying to think of things that are yummy and healthy can be challenging sometimes. Soup is always a staple at my house and it’s about the easiest thing you can make!
I love Broccoli Cheese soup; especially the really thick and creamy stuff that has real cream and several different kinds of full fat cheeses in it. You know that yum that’s really like a dip-chowder mix but they call it soup and has about 1000 cals per teaspoon Ugh, if only I were skinny.
Well, don’t despair this Kicked Up Broccoli Soup is the bomb on a cold winter night! It’s so good you’ll want a second and then a third helping! It’s rich tasting with such a creamy, kinda chunky texture.
It’s not too cheesy but cheesy enough to satisfy that good creamy home style goodness we all just crave from time to time.
It’s got a little spice kick to it that’s very subtle. You know, the subtle heat on the back of your throat that’s gone by the time you’re ready for the next bite. This recipe is a keeper and like most soup it’s easy to make and a one pot meal at that!
Who doesn’t like less clean up!!
Start off by chopping all of your veggies.
Note: that white looking carrot is a parsnip. I had it in my fridge so I decided to add it…you won’t miss anything at all by omitting it!
Next add the oil and the veggies to the pot and saute on medium heat for about 5 minutes or until soft.
Stir the spices into the veggies until all mixed in. Sprinkle flour on top of the mixture and stir until it disappears and looks a little messy looking. This thickening method takes the place of a really fattening roux.
When all mixed in add the chicken broth, Ro-tel and frozen broccoli. Bring to a boil and then turn the heat down to medium and let simmer.
If you’re a soup maker you must invest in an immersion blender.
Once the broccoli is tender, blend with an immersion blender until kinda chunky but kinda smooth.
Note: if you don’t have an immersion blender then get one! The one I have used for years is a Kitchen Aid. It’s dependable and nice looking too:) It doesn’t matter whether you cook a lot or a little, you must have one in your kitchen! Or if you don’t have one, use a potato masher instead.
Add the shredded cheese gradually while stirring. This way it won’t turn out all stringy and clumpy.
Then add the evaporated milk and extra seasoning to taste. Warm up again and then you’re ready to eat!
Kicked Up Broccoli & Cheese Soup
- spray oil & 1 Tbls olive oil
- 1 large onion – chopped
- ½ cup sliced carrots
- 4 garlic cloves – smashed and chopped
- Fresh or ½ teaspoon rosemary, sage
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Pepper – 4 good shakes
- 2 tsp of Cajun seasoning
- 2 Tbls of flour – I use gluten free
- 1 34 oz Chicken Broth – I use Organic from Sam’s
- 1 can Ro-tel Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- 6 cups frozen broccoli
- 2 cups shredded 2% mild cheddar cheese
- 12 oz. can evaporated low fat 2% milk
- Salt to taste – 1 tsp suggested
- Use a big soup pot for this!
- Spray oil on bottom of the pot and then olive oil, heat up.
- Add onions, carrots, garlic, to the pot. Note: add some chopped fresh jalapeno for extra kick. Saute until soft.
- Sprinkle spices and flour on the veggie mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour in chicken broth, Ro-tel, and broccoli. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a hot simmer.
- When broccoli is tender add cheese slowly while stirring into the mixture. Make sure it melts and is not clumpy.
- Add evaporated milk and salt and pepper.
- Heat up again until hot; serve with crackers, tortilla chips, French bread.
- About 4 WW freestyle points, GF
Sound Simple? It is! and so good. Add some crusty bread and a simple salad and you’ve got a brag worthy meal.
Your family will think you’ve been cooking all day long. Plus left overs are really nice the next day:)
Enjoy! Peace and joy in the New Year to you and your loved ones!